email: email@example.com phone: (705) 326-4337 fax: (705) 326-2767 79 Colborne St E, Orillia, ON L3V 1T5, Canada
In 2000, the year of jubilee, a group of people from various churches and community groups met to discuss a “Jubilee” project. The group felt that one of the most pressing needs within the community of Orillia was for transitional housing for homeless women and their children.
In March 2001, Couchiching Jubilee House was Incorporated in the Province of Ontario, and shortly afterwards obtained Federal Charitable status. That year, CJH opened the doors to the transitional house with 4 self-contained, fully furnished apartments.
Today we aim to help women become self-sufficient by:
- Supporting women and their motivation for change using a strengths-based and individualized approach to goal-setting
- Helping women access the community resources they need and want
- Offering supports from within our community and include the individual’s natural support system, volunteers and staff resources
- Helping secure sustainable, safe housing
As of Spring 2016, we have been “home” for 83 women and 96 children.
Each year, Couchiching Jubilee House interviews more than forty families seeking refuge in our transitional housing program. The average stay in our four-plex residence is approximately 7 months. This means that each year, approximately 10 families call CJH “home”.
We have an in depth application/interview process and have several criteria to help us determine who would benefit most from our program.
To be eligible for the program, you must:
- Be homeless or near homeless (couch surfing, served an eviction, temporary accommodations with friends or families)
- Be 16 years of age or older
- Have no active addictions to drugs or alcohol
- Demonstrate motivation to improve your life circumstances.
- Be willing to abide by the residence standards that include:
- No alcohol or drugs on the premises
- No adult males on the premises
- An 11pm curfew
When you apply to the program, you will:
- Complete and submit the Program Application. You can submit your application in confidence by:
- Mail to Couchiching Jubilee House, P.O. Box 272, Orillia ON L3V 6J6
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org or
- Fax to 705.326.2767
- A CJH staff member will set up a preliminary interview to assess your situation.
- Provide references
- Keep in touch. We may not have a space available when you apply but we still want to know if you continue to be interested and in need of the program.
Complete the Volunteer Application Form.
Interview with the Program Coordinator or Development Coordinator. Call 705-326-4337 to set up an appointment.
Criminal Records Check – at the interview with the Coordinator, you will be provided with a form to request a criminal records check. As a volunteer, this will be provided free of charge.
Your references will be checked.
Circle of Support
Available to: Clients on the Jubilee House wait list, current clients, former clients and the public. A supportive 8-10 week program delivered at the Orillia Public Library which brings together local community agencies serving women. Women have an opportunity to meet other women and service providers on a weekly basis and learn more about available resources and, equally important, participate in life-changing workshops to help equip them to better handle the challenges of life. Workshops include Abuse Education, Healthy Relationships, Safety Planning, Housing, Mental Health and much more.
Monday Night Group
Former clients who have left our transitional home but are still in need of supports and current clients can join us at our Monday Night Group. This model is a less intensive model of support and occurs on a weekly basis in the community in a group format. Volunteers, staff, and community guest speakers collaborate with current and post-residents. Activities include but are not limited to: meal preparation and cooking, education workshops, field trips, guest speakers, movie nights and so much more.
Meet the Team
phone: (705) 326-4337
phone: (705) 326-4337 ext. 103
phone: (705) 326-4337 ext. 101
Sponsored in part by: